Organic waste also called Bio-waste consists of Green and Food waste from domestic and commercial sources. The material is collected through municipal kerbside collection schemes or via private waste management contractor businesses and subject to independent audit.
Green waste arisings are bio-degradable, compostable waste from gardens and parks and can consist of hedge cuttings, grass and flower clippings. Organic waste can be open-windrow composted or sent through more elaborate processes such as In-Vessel-Composting (IVC) systems.
Food waste arisings are also a bio-degradable product and are collected through residual waste operations and/or commercial waste management processes. Landfilling is not a desirable option, therefore food wastes can be treated within a Green Waste IVC system or AD facility. All Processes need to be in line with APB Regulations.
Both waste streams can be treated jointly or separately and, if required we can offer a PAS 100 compliant facility.
Open windrow composting
The process of windrow composting is relatively simple:
1. The feed stock is shredded, mixed and placed into windrows along a non permeable surface.
2. The windrows are turned on a regular basis to improve oxygen content, distribute heat to regulate temperature and to distribute moisture. The windrows are turned multiple times during the composting process, which takes on average six to ten weeks, depending on maturity requirements.
3. The last part of the process involves screening the compost to remove contaminants such as plastics and metals, and to also grade the compost for various end uses. Oversized materials are also removed and can be put back through the whole process until they have composted down sufficiently.
In vessel composting (IVC)
4. IVCs can be used to treat food and garden waste mixtures. These systems ensure that composting takes place in an enclosed environment, with accurate temperature control and monitoring.
There are many different systems, but they can be broadly catergorised into six types: containers, silos, agitated bays, tunnels, rotating drums and enclosed halls.
We currently play a role in the treatment of 50,000 tonnes of green, wood and organic wastes each year from local authorities and businesses of all sizes and are seeking to expand that portfolio to 250,000 tonnes in the next five years.
CSD customer commitment:
We pride ourselves on being able to provide short and long-term contracts at competitive prices.
As a customer of CSD you will be provided with:
- A full audit trail of your waste from site to end destination
- Dates and times of all loads received from your company
- Tailored reports – monthly/quarterly/yearly – to meet your requirements
- A list of acceptable materials we can receive from you
- A dedicated account manager
CSD approach to cost:
The cost of recycling your waste with CSD will depend upon the quality of the materials received.
The price will be based on the lowest grade of waste in the mix, therefore segregating materials in mixed loads before they arrive on site will prove the most cost effective.
Whatever your requirement, we can offer a flexible and made-to- measure answer that will suit your needs in terms of quantity, collection method and frequency of collection.
Discounts may be available for large tonnages, such as those from civic amenity sites and local authorities. Our commercial team will be more than willing to discuss that with you.
But whatever the price, recycling your waste with us is not only a greener option than sending it to landfill, it’s also a cost effective one.